Thursday, April 2, 2009

Japanese Style

I'm not a very fashionable person ^^". I walk around mostly in t-shirt and jeans - which, while comfortable, isn't very visually-appealing. So, I decided to research on fashion and style!

I came to the conclusion that Paris, Milan, Tokyo and New York are the capitals of fashion. I decided that I shall use Tokyo as my fashion inspiration because:
  1. Paris, Milan and New York's fashion is a little too mature and classy for me.
  2. I'm Asian, so I like Asian fasion better.
  3. Tokyo's fashion is not a movement, but more of an ever-evolving cauldron of different trends and originality.

Therefore, I looked around for websites that showcases the latest Japanese fashions, and found this little gem: http://style-arena.jp/en/

(Shibuya Crossing: Photo taken by Congaragata of Flickr. This is one seriously cool shot, taken from a great angle. He mentioned that's not even considered busy yet in Tokyo.)

The 'Tokyo Street Style' section have photos of stylish people they find in Harajuku, Ginza, Omotesando, Daikanyama and Shibuya. It updates weekly, so it keeps up with the current trends. However, if you're looking for wild and wacky clothing, you might be disappointed, as the clothing shown are relatively tame by Japanese standards.

(A lolita, photo by Tokyo Times. You should visit it at http://www.wordpress.tokyotimes.org/ . It's full of interesting tidbits of information, and many great photos like this one here.)


Another section, called 'New Tribe', is where you'll find the wacky stuff. The various sub-cultures of Japan are exhibited here - Lolita (The most well-known Japanese sub-culture, the one with all the lace and frills.), Visual Kei (Inspired by Japan's flamboyant musicians.), Cyber-kei (Japan's unique cybertronic style.), Choiwaru Oyaji (Sexy and sophisticated guys over 40... Kinda weird, huh?), and more! The updates are not frequent though.

There are three more sections: Premiere Style (Interviews of people), Shop Style (Reviews of shops) and Feature.

And as of right now, I'm still wearing t-shirt and jeans ^^".

(You see that graphic equalizer on the t-shirt? That's a fully-functional one that responds to ambient sound or music. Now, if I have a t-shirt like that.... See it at ThinkGeek.com .)

No comments:

Post a Comment